I am not a fan of winter, mostly because I dislike the cold. I don’t mind the snow or ice, but I seldom feel warm enough even with a sweater, warm fuzzy socks and a hot drink.
Having lived most of my life in the snowbelt, I particularly dislike driving in the snow. I’ve had too many years of doing it because my employers refused to shut down for inclement weather. I was thankful when management finally starting letting us work from home with our laptop computers.
But as with all the other seasons, winter has some great things about it, such as:
- Beautiful sunrises and sunsets.
- The air is crisper and drier. . . outside it shimmers because it’s so crisp.
- Being able to walk later in the day, unless it’s snowing and or icy.
- Seeing what everything looks like behind the trees
- The beauty of a snowfall when it’s still fresh and unsullied.
- Warm yellow light on days the sun is strong.
- Joy from watching the dogs and kids play in the snow.
- Time to indulge the indoor hobbies.
- Smoking meat in my Big Green Egg. Yes, I am one of those who grills all year. Shovel the driveway, then a path out to the Egg.
- Food lasts longer and the coconut oil isn’t so runny.
- Everything seems to slow down and takes a pause. Yes, it’s an illusion, but a peaceful one.
- Sleeping under an electric blanket with warm flannel sheets.
- Using the oven for cooking and not worrying about the air conditioning running continuously.
- The scent of a sugar cookie candle as it burns.
- Less bugs.
- No dripping sweat!
Do you have anything to add to the list? Even if you hate winter, there must be something you can add to my list. Let me know what it is!
I am a backyard adventurer, philosopher and observer, recording my life in journals and photographs. Visit my blog at www.livingtheseasons.com or write me at dogear6 [at] gmail [dot] com.